Thursday 11 February 2016

Interesting Places around Port Moresby

Whenever I’m driving, my focus is only about three things: the road, the car that I’m driving and the people who may try a sprint across the road.  The places I pass by have less of my attention. Both eloquent and meaningless conversation carried out by passengers in the car are deliberately ignored, regardless. A passenger told me once that with my traits, I can be a locomotive driver. Seems to me like I have reached a milestone with my career in driving until a close friend of mine had said, “Hey, a train driver is usually alone in a driver’s compartment.”

Hi! My name is Glen Villar.

And this is Rodney. He has been under my supervision since the beginning of my employment in the company that I work with.  He has, at first, started as an encoder for our purchases and has since progressed into performing more challenging duties.

While having preceded this post with this photo may appear irrelevant with regards to the title of this post, the idea behind is to show that even a narrow passageway that is  crammed with a delegate of oversized airconditioners has become a place of interest for both Rodney and I.

I’m thinking that the reason for such is somehow connected to my theory upon which I believe that if someone has been on the same place for a long period of time, his brain may start freeing memories inhabited by his experiences of having been in another places. When he is moved to somewhere else, during which a new scenery is introduced, despite having been there before, his brain will attempt to bring back the freed memories.

But since the brain is known to have a great devotion to its host and its protection, it then decides to stop wasting time trying to bring back what is supposed to be a purged memory to begin with.  Because for the brain, there are other more important things at hand like maintaining a DEFCON 2 alertness for any danger. Such a phenomenon lets you experience any common place as new and interesting.


The guy in the left is Noel and on the right is Rodney. I have both trained these two guys in different areas, with Noel concentrating on dealing with Quotation and Invoices and Rodney in both encoding and hardware troubleshooting.  Some people may not enjoy what these two are doing, but for Rodney, deciphering the mysteries of colour coded wires while seated on a monoblock is as interesting as to what Noel, who is on a cozy office chair, was doing on a computer.

I have taught Rodney about the different configurations of UTP cable.  Like anyone else unfamiliar with networking, he has found it confusing at first. Now Rodney knows how to crimp for a 10-baseT and 100-baseT connection and cross-cable connection with ease.

In search for a greener pasture, Noel has already resigned from this company.


Patience and perseverance is the key to finding the problem in something faulty. Most of the time, a computer may emit beeping sounds in response to its self-integrity checking mechanism triggered off by errors.  But in the absence of these little  telltale  noises, a technician’s job becomes relatively challenging. We can think of the whole picture as a jigzaw puzzle with dozens of tessellating pieces.

Each piece of puzzle is like an individual troubleshooting experience from which the technician draws its solution and deal with the problem at hand in a trial and error fashion. Rodney is now good at this. Nearly as good as me.

Ha!

This is our little make-shift half-court basketball setup in our front yard. The guy on the left wearing a red short is responsible for coming up with this ingenuity. The hoop is made up of an old and rusty steering wheel which is then mounted on some kind of fixture where a pulley is purposely installed.

Playing basketball is fun for the first 100 times, but thereafter its amusement factor declines if you keep on playing with familiar faces every now and then.

This is me on an early Sunday morning at Pacific Adventist University (PAU). Settled behind me are the numerous stall owners selling different kinds of vegetables and foods with beverages. Being one of the few in our company who were allowed to drive the company’s car, I’m getting all sort of requests from fellow managers to bring them to places where I would not normally have a reason to go.


But going to PAU on a Sunday morning is more productive than sleeping it off in my bed. You can spend 1 Kina for each pile of vegetable which I find relatively affordable. And because the vegetables in the picture are hard to come by, I did not think twice about buying them. A few years ago, I learned how to cook Ginisang Munggo by reading about it at Panlasang Pinoy blog and the bitter gourd leaves in my hand is a crucial recipe.

While varying proportions of the PNU campus are divided to school buildings, housing and an open air market, the larger partition of its land is converted to plantation. The picture above shows a vast area where the corn crops and papaya are planted. 


This place is the PNG Gardener. Once in a while, I come here for a visit. There is always something in an aquarium shop that makes me visit it. Although it’s not clear yet, I guess it has something to do with being an aquarium enthusiast myself.


Here’s a shop assistant attempting to scoop out a pair of rainbow fish. Rainbow fish is an ornamental fish naturally found in the habitats of Papua New Guinea. I’ve read somewhere before that it’s quite hard to keep. Luckily though, the pair that I bought are still in good shape after introducing them to a community of Sogeri Kois and swordtails.



This area is near the Centrepoint which is next to our place of work.  Noel and I were aiming to snap a photo of an Australian-duo who were performing before the crowd. They are quite visible if you try and zoom in.

This is what the old Rita Flynn Netball Complex looks like before its renovation. Nowadays, the complex is far better. The players wearing the lighter shade of blue are employees from the company that I’m working with. I know the players by their individual names but as a group, we refer to them simply as The Netball Girls. 

Netball has a striking resemblance to basketball. Like the latter, the mechanics of the game mandate that players from opposing team must try and and outscore each other by bringing the ball into the hoop. A few noticeable differences between the two games are:
  • The ball itself. It seems like they’re using a ball the size of a soccer or volleyball instead of the official basketball.
  • Dribbling.  There is not much dribbling involved throughout the entire game. However, good movement of the ball through passing among team mates is the key to much of the winning.
  • The hoop doesn’t have a backboard like a basketball court does.
  • It seems that netball is more commonly played by girls.



Here’s ate Des and a couple of our co-managers exhibiting some form of moral support by being present in the game and shouting cheers amidst the other cheering crowd. 

That's it for this week. Until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...